About Me

My photo
I have been battling the scale all my life. Even when I was skinny the mirror showed my imperfections. Now that I am in my 30's it is time to embrace a new beginning. I want the next 30 years to be better than the first. So, I am on a mission to find the best tips, tricks, solutions and inspirations to help me on my journey. Then, I want to share my discoveries with all of you. Live Happy! Be Happy! Dedicate Yourself!

Sunday, May 29, 2011

How Many Calories Do You Need To Lose Weight? 

In reality, there is no "magic" number as to how many calories you need to eat to lose weight. Since each person's body is different there is a formula you can use to calculate how many calories you need in order to maintain your current weight. Then, to lose weight, all you have to do is take in fewer calories than that. However, you will NEVER want to take in fewer than 1200 calories a day. 

So let's calculate! (Psst..You will want a calculator, pen & paper!) =0)

Step 1:

We need to calculate your BMR. What is BMR? BMR is your Basal Metabolic Rate which is basically how much energy your body burns while at rest. To find out what your BMR is use the following formula:

Women: 655 + (4.3 x weight in pounds) + (4.7 x height in inches) - (4.7 x age in years) 

Men: 66 + (6.3 x weight in pounds) + (12.9 x height in inches) - (6.8 x age in years)

Please note that this formula applies only to adults!!

Step 2:

Calculate Your Activity Level

If you are sedentary : BMR x 20 percent

If you are lightly active: BMR x 30 percent 

If you are moderately active (You exercise most days a week.): BMR x 40 percent

If you are very active (You exercise intensely on a daily basis or for prolonged periods.): BMR x 50 percent 

If you are extra active (You do hard labor or are in athletic training.): BMR x 60 percent 


Add the totals from Step 1 and Step 2 together.

The result of this formula will be the number of calories you can eat every day and maintain your current weight. In order to lose weight, you'll need to take in fewer calories than this result.

As you lose weight, you can re-calculate the formula to assess your new BMR.

If you want a great website that will help you keep track of the calories you eat and give you great recipe suggestions please visit www.caloriecount.about.com

Just in case you were wondering here is an example.

28 year old- 214.5 lbs (as of 5/26/09). 5'6" or 66 inches tall. My age is 28. Sedetary most of the time.

So, here is what it looks like:

(Step 1)655+(922.35)+(310.2)-131.6 = 1755.95

(Step 2) 1755.95 * 20% = 351.19

(Step 3) 1755.95+351.19 = 2107.14

So I need to take in less than 2107.14 calories a day in order to lose weight. My current goal is to maintain about 1600 calories a day until I plateau. Then, I will recalculate to make adjustments as necessary. ♥

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Welcome to your weight-loss survival guide! Copyright © 2009 Designed by Ipietoon Blogger Template for Bie Blogger Template Vector by DaPino